2023 Brisbane St Patrick’s Day Parade
In 2022 the parade made a triumphant return to Brisbane City Streets after a COVID absence during 2020 and 2021.
The 2023 parade will start and end at Brisbane Botanic Gardens on Alice Street and will continue along the same route as in 2022. Due to flooding in 2022, we adjusted the parade route to proceed down Margaret Street instead of Mary Street due to flood works and repairs. We will proceed down this same route in 2023.
Spaces are limited but we try our best to accommodate all who want to join in on the fun. We encourage all participants to be as creative and festive as possible – the bigger and brighter the better!
The most impressive float, decided by the committee members and dignitaries on the day, will be awarded “The Jan Dooley St. Patrick’s Day Parade Best Float Award” for the most outstanding float on show.
Please read the participation rules below before applying.
Celebrating 200 years of Irish Queenslanders
In 2023 we will be Celebrating 200 Years of Irish Queenslanders and their impact on Brisbane and beyond. We encourage participants to engage with the theme during the parade.
Donate and support
The Brisbane St. Patrick’s Day relies upon funding and the support and generosity of local businesses to hold this community-run parade. Please consider making a donation.
Register to particpate in the 2023 Brisbane St. Patrick's Day Parade
The application deadline is Tuesday 28th February 2023. Please read the participation requirements below.
Participation requirements and code of conduct
Please take note of the vehicle safety guidelines that must be followed.
- Please follow the parade marshals’ instructions closely on the day.
- All minors are to be accompanied by an adult on a float but we would prefer there were no minors for safety reasons.
- No activities such as dancing or jumping on the back of trucks or utes is permitted.
- Any political demonstration or protest of any kind will not be tolerated.
- The use of lewd or vulgar language is not permitted when marching.
- No drinking alcohol or smoking in the parade.
- If submitting a vehicle, please describe how your vehicle will be decorated. Poorly decorated vehicles with excess advertising will be rejected. If in doubt please query in the registration form or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only registered vehicles will be permitted in the parade so please fill out the form accurately.
- If your vehicle is deemed unfit or unsafe for the parade, you may be prevented from participating. Marshalls will inspect your float before proceeding.
- Participants are not to throw or distribute candy, flyers or any other objects from vehicles or from marchers.
- Participants are not allowed to solicit donations on the parade route or sell anything to spectators. Parade Marshals will enforce this policy.
- large inflatables must be secured.
- Private businesses will incur a $200 participation fee. Fee is waived for advertisers and sponsors.
The Jan Dooley St. Patrick’s Day Parade Best Float Award
The best float takes home “Jan Dooley St. Patrick’s Day Parade Best Float Award”!
Jan Dooley reestablished the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade in 1989 with her husband Dr. Tom Dooley, Jim Morrissey, Pat Fitzpatrick and friends. Jan passed in 2018 and is survived by her devoted husband Tom, their four children and nine grandchildren.
- 2022: St Patrick’s College Shorncliffe
- 2019: Queensland Irish Dance Association
- 2018: The QIA Pipe Band